1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, through the will of God, according to a promise of life that [is] in Christ Jesus,
2. to Timotheus, beloved child: Grace, kindness, peace, from God the Father, and Christ Jesus our Lord!
3. I am thankful to God, whom I serve from progenitors in a pure conscience, that unceasingly I have remembrance concerning thee in my supplications night and day,
4. desiring greatly to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that with joy I may be filled,
5. taking remembrance of the unfeigned faith that is in thee, that dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice, and I am persuaded that also in thee.
6. For which cause I remind thee to stir up the gift of God that is in thee through the putting on of my hands,
7. for God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind;
8. therefore thou mayest not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but do thou suffer evil along with the good news according to the power of God,
9. who did save us, and did call with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, that was given to us in Christ Jesus, before the times of the ages,
10 and was made manifest now through the manifestation of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who indeed did abolish death, and did enlighten life and immortality through the good news,
11. to which I was placed a preacher and an apostle, and a teacher of nations,
12. for which cause also these things I suffer, but I am not ashamed, for I have known in whom I have believed, and have been persuaded that he is able that which I have committed to him to guard -- to that day.
13. The pattern hold thou of sound words, which from me thou didst hear, in faith and love that [is] in Christ Jesus;
14. the good thing committed guard thou through the Holy Spirit that is dwelling in us;
15. thou hast known this, that they did turn from me -- all those in Asia, of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes;
16. may the Lord give kindness to the house of Onesiphorus, because many times he did refresh me, and of my chain was not ashamed,
17. but being in Rome, very diligently he sought me, and found;
18. may the Lord give to him to find kindness from the Lord in that day; and how many things in Ephesus he did minister thou dost very well know.