1 Whence [are] wars and fightings among you? not thence -- out of your passions, that are as soldiers in your members?
2. ye desire, and ye have not; ye murder, and are zealous, and are not able to attain; ye fight and war, and ye have not, because of your not asking;
3. ye ask, and ye receive not, because evilly ye ask, that in your pleasures ye may spend [it].
4. Adulterers and adulteresses! have ye not known that friendship of the world is enmity with God? whoever, then, may counsel to be a friend of the world, an enemy of God he is set.
5. Do ye think that emptily the Writing saith, `To envy earnestly desireth the spirit that did dwell in us,'
6. and greater grace he doth give, wherefore he saith, `God against proud ones doth set Himself up, and to lowly ones He doth give grace?'
7. be subject, then, to God; stand up against the devil, and he will flee from you;
8. draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you; cleanse hands, ye sinners! and purify hearts, ye two-souled!
9. be exceeding afflicted, and mourn, and weep, let your laughter to mourning be turned, and the joy to heaviness;
10 be made low before the Lord, and He shall exalt you.
11. Speak not one against another, brethren; he who is speaking against a brother, and is judging his brother, doth speak against law, and doth judge law, and if law thou dost judge, thou art not a doer of law but a judge;
12. one is the lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy; thou -- who art thou that dost judge the other?
13. Go, now, ye who are saying, `To-day and to-morrow we will go on to such a city, and will pass there one year, and traffic, and make gain;'
14. who do not know the thing of the morrow; for what is your life? for it is a vapour that is appearing for a little, and then is vanishing;
15. instead of your saying, `If the Lord may will, we shall live, and do this or that;'
16. and now ye glory in your pride; all such glorying is evil;
17. to him, then, knowing to do good, and not doing, sin it is to him.