1 How is the gold become dim! the most pure gold changed! the stones of the sanctuary poured out at the top of all the streets!
2. The sons of Zion, so precious, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
3. Even the jackals offer the breast, they give suck to their young; the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
4. The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst; the young children ask bread, no man breaketh it unto them.
5. They that fed delicately are desolate in the streets; they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dung-hills.
6. And the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the reward of the sin of Sodom, which was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands were violently laid upon her.
7. Her Nazarites were purer than snow, whiter than milk; they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their figure was as sapphire.
8. Their visage is darker than blackness, they are not known in the streets; their skin cleaveth to their bones, it is withered, it is become like a stick.
9. The slain with the sword are happier than the slain with hunger; for these pine away, stricken through for want of the fruits of the field.
10 The hands of pitiful women have boiled their own children: they were their meat in the ruin of the daughter of my people.
11. Jehovah hath accomplished his fury; he hath poured out his fierce anger, and hath kindled a fire in Zion, which hath consumed the foundations thereof.
12. The kings of the earth, and all the inhabitants of the world, would not have believed that the adversary and the enemy should enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
13. [It is] for the sins of her prophets, [and] the iniquities of her priests, who have shed the blood of the righteous in the midst of her.
14. They wandered about blind in the streets; they were polluted with blood, so that men could not touch their garments.
15. They cried unto them, Depart! Unclean! Depart! depart, touch not! When they fled away, and wandered about, it was said among the nations, They shall no more sojourn [there].
16. The face of Jehovah hath divided them; he will no more regard them. They respected not the persons of the priests, they favoured not the aged.
17. Our eyes still failed for our vain help; in our watching, we have watched for a nation that did not save.
18. They hunted our steps, that we could not go in our streets: our end is near, our days are fulfilled; for our end is come.
19. Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the heavens; they chased us hotly upon the mountains, they laid wait for us in the wilderness.
20. The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of Jehovah, was taken in their pits; of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the nations.
21. Rejoice and be glad, daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz: the cup shall pass also unto thee; thou shalt be drunken, and make thyself naked.
22. The punishment of thine iniquity is accomplished, O daughter of Zion; he will no more carry thee away into captivity. He will visit thine iniquity, O daughter of Edom; he will discover thy sins.